Disability Support Services

Documentation FAQ

What is documentation?

Documentation consists of diagnostic information from a licensed clinical professional familiar with the history and functional implications of your disability. This information must be submitted on the official letterhead of the professional or institution (such as a doctor, psychologist, school, or other agency) describing the disability.

What kind of documentation do I need in order to receive services?

  • Documentation must originate from a licensed physician, although the information may be obtained through third party sources, such as school or vocational rehabilitation agencies.
  • Documentation must be current. (See next question below for further explanation.)
  • Additional information may be necessary from other physicians or from other allied health care providers; for example, physical therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, audiologists, or speech pathologists.
  • Certain disabilities, which are obvious in nature, may not require documentation.

If my documentation is considered too old, do you have any suggestions for obtaining current documentation? Is there any assistance available to help pay for it?

You will have to contact your doctor or evaluator to obtain a current analysis of your condition at your cost. You may qualify for an evaluation at no cost to you if you are eligible for services through a state vocational rehabilitation agency. You may locate your state vocational rehabilitation agency through the Department of Education web page.

Will an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) qualify as documentation?

An Individualized Education Plan may help identify services that have been effective for you and may indicate a history of services, but it is generally not sufficient documentation. This is because postsecondary education presents different demands than high school, and what you need to meet these new demands may vary from what was provided to you in high school. If the documentation you have does not meet the requirements, you will be told what new or additional information needs to be supplied before services can be rendered.

Print Page