Maintenance of Status
An F-1 student admitted to the United States must maintain
his or her status while in the United States. To maintain F-1 status, a student must:
- Maintain a valid passport for a minimum period of 6 months.
- Attend the school they are authorized to attend.
- Pursue a full course of study. A full course of study is to complete 12 credits
per quarter for fall, winter and spring. Summer session is optional.
- Apply for extensions of programs before the expiration date on the current
I-20 if necessary.
- Follow INS procedures for transferring from one school to another.
- Limit on campus employment to 20 hours a week while school is in session.
- Refrain from off-campus employment without authorization.
- Report a change of address to INS within 10 days of the change.