Veterans Work-Study

If you're a full-time or 3/4-time student in a college degree program, or a vocational or professional program, you can "earn while you learn" with a VA work-study allowance.

Eligible Veterans can work at the following locations. To apply for a position you must contact the job site directly to determine if there are openings.

WorkSource Spokane
Mike Briscoe
130 S. Arthur
Spokane, WA 99202
(509) 532-3101

American Legion @ Spokane VAMC
Barry Blackerby
4815 N Assembly St
Bldg 6A
(509) 434-7748

VA Medical Center
Windee Wiro
4815 N Assembly
Spokane, WA 99205
(509) 434-7389

Veterans Outreach Center
Joyce Gaines
100 N. Mullan. Ste. 102
Spokane, WA
(509) 444-8387

Spokane Veterans Home
Sandie Wollan
222 E 5th
Spokane, WA 99202
(509) 344-5777

Employment Security Dept (Colville)
Kat Nichols
956 S Main Suite B
Colville, WA 99114-0112
(509) 685-6158/6142

Spokane Falls Community College
Connie Herrera
3410 W Fort George Wright Dr
Spokane, WA 99224
(509) 533-3504

Spokane Community College
Linda Wilson
1810 N Greene St
Spokane, WA 99217
(509) 533-7027

Eastern Washington University
Lane Anderson
201 Sutton Hall
Cheney, WA 99004
(509) 359-7040
Military Order of the Purple Heart
Adrian Wall – Veterans Outreach Center
100 N. Mullan Ste. 102
Spokane, WA
(509) 924-1262

Who is Eligible?

The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training under the following programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill--(38 U.S.C. Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill--Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants
  • Montgomery GI Bill--Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State.
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program -- (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

VA will select students for the work-study program based on different factors. Such factors include:

  • Disability of the student
  • Ability of the student to complete the work-study contract before the end of his or her eligibility to education benefits
  • Job availability within normal commuting distance to the student
  • VA will give the highest priority to a veteran who has a service-connected disability or disabilities rated by VA at 30% or more.

The number of applicants selected will depend on the availability of VA-related work at your school or at VA facilities in your area.

How Much May I Earn?

You'll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you're in a work-study job at a college or university, your school may pay you the difference between the amount VA pays and the amount the school normally pays other work-study students doing the same job as you.

You may elect to be paid in advance for 40 percent of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you've completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service.

You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total number of hours you work can't be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

What Type of Work May I Do?

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work. Examples of acceptable work are:

  • Processing VA paperwork at schools or VA offices
  • Performing outreach services
  • Performing services at VA medical facilities or the offices of the National Cemetery Administration

The work you actually do will depend on your interests and the type of work available.

© 1996-2015 Spokane Falls Community College All rights reserved