Sources of Aid

Scholarship aid does not have to be repaid. Funding for scholarships comes from local high schools, employers, the Community Colleges of Spokane Foundation and private sources. The scholarship application process is separate from the application for federal and state financial aid. Deadlines for scholarship application are generally in late winter or early spring for the following Fall quarter.

Search the SFCC Online Scholarship Database!

The CCS Foundation offers several scholarships throughout the year. Their web site also houses an Online Application, usually due around March 15th of each year.

The Spokane Falls Community College Career and Student Employment Center has several scholarship search programs available for students or potential students to use, as well as scholarship applications from local businesses or organizations that have provided scholarships for SFCC students in the past.

There are excellent scholarship search tools on the Internet. Several of these are located on the Financial Aid Links page on this site. High school students should check with their high school counseling centers. Parents and employed students may want to inquire with their employers to see if they offer scholarships for employees or employees' children. Local city and county libraries are another good resource for scholarship information.

Federal, state and institutional grants for undergraduate students provide financial aid funding that does not need to be repaid.

Federal Grants

Spokane Falls Community College participates in the federal Pell Grant and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant programs. Resident and nonresident students may qualify for federal grants.

  • Pell Grant – a federal grant program based on financial need. Currently the eligibility range is from $400 to $5,550 per academic year.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant – a federal grant program for the neediest students. Currently the eligibility range is from $900 to $4,000 per academic year.

State Grants

The State of Washington provides financial aid grant assistance to resident students.
  • State Need Grant – a state grant program based on need. Eligible students may receive an award up to the cost of tuition. In addition to tuition, students may also receive funding to cover a portion of their "out of pocket" child care costs.
  • SFCC Institutional Grants & Waivers – A portion of SFCC tuition revenue is reserved for institutional grants and waivers.
    • SFCC 3% Tuition Grant - a supplemental grant based on need. Currently the eligibility range is from $900 to $4,000 per academic year.
    • SFCC 3 1/2% Tuition Waiver – a supplemental waiver that reduces the amount of tuition costs. Currently the eligibility range is $900 to $2,100.

Information about the Senior Waiver and the Washington State/Public Higher Education Employee Tuition Waiver can be found in the Admissions section of our website under Tuition and Fees.

Veterans's Benefits

Veterans may receive assistance understanding and claiming their education benefits by visiting the SFCC Veterans Services office.


Tuition assistance is available for those who qualify for the WorkFirst Financial Aid program or the Basic Food Employment & Training program. See the SFCC Workforce Development office for more information.

What is Work Study?

The Career and Student Employment Center, in conjunction with the Financial Aid Office, administers the SFCC on-campus and off-campus work programs. Work Study employment is meant to be a productive experience for everyone involved: the student, the employer, and the institution as well as the community.

Goals of the Student Work Programs

  • To provide employment opportunities for eligible students to finance their college education. Students can also get experience related to their area of study and pursue career training.
  • To provide opportunities for student employees to gain on-the-job training and work experience while attending school.
  • To prepare students for future employment by providing experience with hiring, training, supervision, relations with public and other staff members. Work Study students can make career decisions and future job placement determinations while attending classes and performing their job duties.

How do I get Work Study?

Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), answering yes to the question that you are interested in work study. If you are awarded work study, you will receive an award notification from the Financial Aid Office and an informational email from the Work Study Office. If you did not receive a work study award and would like to be placed on the waitlist, please read the information below.

Work Study Waitlist

If you would like to be placed on the Work Study Waitlist, please complete the Work Study Waitlist Form. The Work Study Placement Office will award eligible students on a first-come, first-served basis.

Work Study Waitlist Form

If you need help or have any questions, please feel free to contact the Career and Student Employment Center on the second floor of the Student Union Building, Bldg. 17, or call (509) 533-3540.

© 1996-2015 Spokane Falls Community College All rights reserved