Social Science Department
The Social Science Department supports the college mission by
offering liberal arts/college transfer courses. The following list of department
goals explains how the department sees its role in the institution’s educational
- To provide freshman and sophomore level transfer
courses in the social sciences to students with a wide variety of academic backgrounds
- To foster in students the ability to critically read
college level interpretations of historical and contemporary societies in the western
and non-western world.
- To give students knowledge of the nature of social
science methodology and an appreciation of its strengths and limitations as an instrument
- To assist students to develop subtle judgments about
inherently complex issues and to present that understanding in effective writing.
- To help students understand themselves and others
better so they can problem solve successfully and be more fulfilled.
- To serve as a resource to others.